Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Wrong End of the Telescope

10 June – 9 July, Three Colts Gallery, Bethnal Green
Open Fri, Sat & Sun 12-6
Artists Anna Boggon, Silke Dettmers, Helen Maurer

It is an absolutely stunning show, linked by a dolls house view of the world. Personally, I didn’t feel any connection to ‘homeliness’; dolls houses are not homely, they are surreal, slightly scary but fascinating. Anna Boggon’s wardrobe dolls house room was consuming. I spent ages looking at it kneeling on the ground still unable to work out what was really where and which way up. It reminded me in retrospect of Leonora Carrington’s paintings, where this feminine world is suddenly disrupted by some weird addition like a giant sunflower. Helen Maurer’s objects on an overhead projector, which make an image, were great. I loved the way that something so tiny and delicate seemingly had so much power as it was projected to life size on the wall. I liked Silke Dettmers box with a window in it. I found it strangely disturbing as it didn’t allow me the pleasure of a tiny world inside; from within inside the box someone could watch me, but I could not see them.